Get outside with your family or close friends this summer to explore all that nature has to offer guided by your own personal Riveredge Naturalist. You can get your feet wet in the Milwaukee River and learn first-hand about the creepy cool creatures that call it home, wander the Children’s Garden and search for wild edible plants, or even get inspired by some of Wisconsin’s finest prairies and create your own art project! All these opportunities and more are available to you and your small crew (up to 9 people total) while practicing safe social distancing outdoors. Pre-registration is required. Face coverings will be required for staff and participants while registering, when indoors, and if social distancing is a challenge. Think of these as field trips for your family or small group! Read below for complete details.
Riveredge Excursions Outing Options
- Adventure Buffs: River Ramble
Get your feet wet as you venture into the Milwaukee River! Catch crayfish and get an up close look at the animals that call the river home. Discover the unique ways they have adapted to life in an ever-changing environment. Meet your exclusive naturalist guide in Riveredge’s River Outpost (West Parking Lot).
- Summer Nostalgia: Frog Catching & Insect Scooping
Summers are just not complete without the thrilling feeling of frog-catching. Whether it’s your first or your four-hundredth time catching a frog, this outing will bring back memories and create new ones for your family while you explore Riveredge Nature Center’s Frog Pond and catch creatures that call this classic Wisconsin ecosystem home. Meet your exclusive naturalist guide at the Visitor Center.
- Insect Safari: Prairie Sweeping and Log Rolling
The Riveredge prairies are home to some of the coolest insects around. Experience what it’s like to sweep for insect, learn about their amazing features, then head to the forest to search under logs for other invertebrates. Meet your exclusive naturalist guide at Visitor Center.
- For your creative side: Wildcrafters
Use nature and natural materials to create memorable and fun pieces to take home. Paint a watercolor picture at the pond, make mud tree faces for other visitors to see, practice drawing our resident turtle, or build a bug hotel. It’s all up to your imagination! Meet your exclusive naturalist guide at the Visitor Center.
- Green thumbs: Garden Tour
Have you ever wanted your own private garden tour to learn the in’s and out’s of at-home gardening? Get your hands dirty to help keep our garden growing. With a composting demonstration site, an herb patch, and many seasonal plantings- there is plenty to explore. Meet your exclusive naturalist guide at Visitor Center.
- Adventure Buffs: River Ramble
Riveredge Excursions Scheduling Details
Request your exclusive two-hour outing upon request by completing our signup form. Once we have received your application, our staff will get in contact with you within 1-2 business days to confirm your outing, collect payment, and answer any questions you may have. Available for all ages. Dates are booked at minimum two-weeks out.
All Access Member: $50 | Trail Pass Members: $60 | Non-members: $70
We ask that all fees are prepaid – so that when your family/group arrives, you are able to jump right into the nature excursion and focus on the fun.
Payment can be made over the phone (add $2 transaction fee) or in person by check or cash. Payment should be made upon confirmation of your booking.
Face coverings will be required for staff and participants while registering, when indoors, and if social distancing is a challenge.
- Cancellations will receive a refund (less $25 administrative fee) if made two weeks in advance.
- Cancellations made less than 14 days in advance will not receive a refund.
- If severe weather demands the cancellation of a program, Riveredge will attempt to find an alternate date or will refund the entire program fee. If you have questions about the weather on the day of the program, please call the Center at (262) 375-2715. Unless the weather conditions are extreme, the program will be held but may be adapted to accommodate the weather. For instance, if there is light rain, ponchos will be available.
- If cancellation is necessary due to sudden illness or injury, refunds will be issued on a case-by-case basis.
Contact Carly Hintz at email@example.com or (262)375-2715 x152.