Get outside with your family or close friends to explore all that nature has to offer guided by your own personal Riveredge Naturalist. These small group opportunities are available to you and your small crew (up to 9 people total) while practicing safe social distancing outdoors. Pre-registration is required. Face coverings will be required for staff and participants while registering, when indoors, and if social distancing is a challenge. Think of these as field trips for your family or small group! Read below for complete details. Click here to sign up for an excursion!
Here is a little bit of feedback we’ve received about Riveredge Excursions:
“The highlight of our visit was spending time with my niece and watching her explore nature. Our educator was patient and attentive to us and tailored the class perfectly to fit a 4-year-old.”
“Our family loved the crafts and flexibility to walk through the garden. Riveredge staff are the best!”
Riveredge Excursions Summer and Fall
- Adventure Buffs: River Ramble
Get your feet wet as you venture into the Milwaukee River! Catch crayfish and get an up close look at the animals that call the river home. Discover the unique ways they have adapted to life in an ever-changing environment. Meet your exclusive naturalist guide in Riveredge’s River Outpost (West Parking Lot).
- Summer Nostalgia: Frog Catching & Insect Scooping
Summers are just not complete without the thrilling feeling of frog-catching. Whether it’s your first or your four-hundredth time catching a frog, this outing will bring back memories and create new ones for your family while you explore Riveredge Nature Center’s Frog Pond and catch creatures that call this classic Wisconsin ecosystem home. Meet your exclusive naturalist guide at the Visitor Center.
- Insect Safari: Prairie Sweeping and Log Rolling
The Riveredge prairies are home to some of the coolest insects around. Experience what it’s like to sweep for insects, learn about their amazing features, then head to the forest to search under logs for other invertebrates. Meet your exclusive naturalist guide at the Visitor Center.
- For your creative side: Wildcrafters
Use nature and natural materials to create memorable and fun pieces to take home. Paint a watercolor picture at the pond, make mud tree faces for other visitors to see, practice drawing our resident turtle, or build a bug hotel. It’s all up to your imagination! Meet your exclusive naturalist guide at the Visitor Center.
- Green thumbs: Garden Tour
Have you ever wanted your own private garden tour to learn the in’s and out’s of at-home gardening? Get your hands dirty to help keep our garden growing. With a composting demonstration site, an herb patch, and many seasonal plantings there is plenty to explore. Meet your exclusive naturalist guide at the Visitor Center.
Riveredge Excursions Scheduling Details
Request your exclusive two-hour outing upon request by completing our signup form. Once we have received your application, our staff will get in contact with you within 2-4 business days to confirm your outing, collect payment, and answer any questions you may have. Available for all ages. Dates are booked at minimum two-weeks out. It’s necessary that all attendees dress appropriately to be outdoors for the duration of the program for the day’s winter forecast.
Member Price: $75 | Non-members Price: $100
We ask that all fees are prepaid – so that when your family/group arrives, you are able to jump right into the nature excursion and focus on the fun.
Payment can be made over the phone (add $2 transaction fee) or in person by check or cash. Payment should be made upon confirmation of your booking.
Face coverings will be required for staff and participants (ages 5 and up) while registering, when indoors, and if social distancing is a challenge. If at any point Riveredge educators request that participants mask-up, please abide.
- Cancellations will receive a refund (less $25 administrative fee) if made one week (7 days) in advance.
- Cancellations made less than 7 days in advance will not receive a refund.
- If severe weather demands the cancellation of a program, Riveredge will attempt to find an alternate date or will refund the entire program fee. If you have questions about the weather on the day of the program, please call the Center at (262) 375-2715. Unless the weather conditions are extreme, the program will be held but may be adapted to accommodate the weather. It’s necessary that all attendees dress appropriately to be outdoors for the duration of the program for the day’s winter forecast.
- If cancellation is necessary due to sudden illness or injury, refunds will be issued on a case-by-case basis.
Contact Carly Hintz at firstname.lastname@example.org or (262)375-2715.