Get outside with your family or close friends to explore all that nature has to offer guided by your own personal Riveredge Naturalist. These small group opportunities are available to you and your small crew (up to 9 people total) while practicing safe social distancing outdoors. Pre-registration is required. Face coverings will be required for staff and participants while registering, when indoors, and if social distancing is a challenge. Think of these as field trips for your family or small group! Read below for complete details. Click here to sign up for an excursion!
Here is a little bit of feedback we’ve received about Riveredge Excursions:
“The highlight of our visit was spending time with my niece and watching her explore nature. Our educator was patient and attentive to us and tailored the class perfectly to fit a 4-year-old.”
“Our family loved the crafts and flexibility to walk through the garden. Riveredge staff are the best!”
Riveredge Excursions This Spring
We’re beginning to schedule for April, May, and June with seasonally relevant spring and early summer Excursion opportunities.
- Spring Special: Vernal Pond Exploration & Tadpole Discovery
Spring is a special season when vital habitats called vernal ponds start popping up all over the land at Riveredge! Join an exclusive naturalist guide as we put on our muck boots and follow the sound of frogs croaking into the wetlands and to the edge of these vernal pools in search of tadpoles, toads, salamanders, and frogs!
- Skill Building: Fire Building Workshop
Stoke your skills for the upcoming summer camping season! Learn how to spark a flame in the dead of winter using tinder, kindling, and fuel wood. Try your hand at striking a match or catching a spark with flint and steel. Once the fire is rolling sit back and enjoy a snowy season campfire. Meet your exclusive naturalist guide at the Main Visitor Center.
- Riveredge After Dark: Night Hike
Strap on your hiking shoes and grab a flashlight for this evening family adventure. A Riveredge Naturalist will guide you to discover the sanctuary after dark. We’ll stargaze and search for bats, listen for woodcocks and owls, then explore how our senses help us navigate the night.
- Wild Animal Finders for Bird Brains
Birds come in all shapes and sizes and are highly adapted to their environment. Learn about their specialized adaptations by playing a food preference game, learn to use binoculars to spot our feathered friends at a distance, and practice a few backyard bird calls.
- Green Thumb: Organic Gardeners
From perennials to cold crops, fruit shrubs to herbs- you’ll dig the number of edible plants in our Children’s Organic Garden! Get your hands dirty and help get our garden growing. With a composting demonstration site, beds that need weeding, seeds that need planting, and many seasonal gardening tasks there is plenty to explore. Meet your exclusive naturalist guide at the Visitor Center.
Riveredge Excursions Scheduling Details
Request your exclusive two-hour outing upon request by completing our signup form. Once we have received your application, our staff will get in contact with you within 1-2 business days to confirm your outing, collect payment, and answer any questions you may have. Available for all ages. Dates are booked at minimum two-weeks out. It’s necessary that all attendees dress appropriately to be outdoors for the duration of the program for the day’s winter forecast.
Member Price: $75 | Non-members Price: $100
We ask that all fees are prepaid – so that when your family/group arrives, you are able to jump right into the nature excursion and focus on the fun.
Payment can be made over the phone (add $2 transaction fee) or in person by check or cash. Payment should be made upon confirmation of your booking.
Face coverings will be required for staff and participants (ages 5 and up) while registering, when indoors, and if social distancing is a challenge. If at any point Riveredge educators request that participants mask-up, please abide.
- Cancellations will receive a refund (less $25 administrative fee) if made one week (7 days) in advance.
- Cancellations made less than 7 days in advance will not receive a refund.
- If severe weather demands the cancellation of a program, Riveredge will attempt to find an alternate date or will refund the entire program fee. If you have questions about the weather on the day of the program, please call the Center at (262) 375-2715. Unless the weather conditions are extreme, the program will be held but may be adapted to accommodate the weather. It’s necessary that all attendees dress appropriately to be outdoors for the duration of the program for the day’s winter forecast.
- If cancellation is necessary due to sudden illness or injury, refunds will be issued on a case-by-case basis.
Contact Cassie Bauer at firstname.lastname@example.org or (262)416-1364.