- This event has passed.
STEM into Nature- Homeschool Day
May 4, 2018 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
What if nature was as integrated into our daily lives as technology is today? Join us for a brand new event series featuring cutting-edge leaders from organizations around Wisconsin that are using 21st-century technology to innovative ways to better learn about and steward our environment. Meet scientists, student, and youth groups that are exploring new ways of learning about the environment through the aid of technology. Learn about careers in Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (STEM) and get hands-on with the drones, robots, underwater ROV’s, virtual reality and GIS tools that are changing the game for conservation.
Homeschool Day– Friday, May 4th from 1-4 p.m.
Thanks to these partners who are making this new event series amazing!
UWM-School of Freshwater Sciences (featuring their underwater ROV), Reflo (featuring their Augmented Reality Watershed Table and Milwaukee Community Story Map), MSOE (featuring a closer look at the Riveredge engineered wastewater wetland system), Southeast Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission (featuring their side-scan sonar device), your hosts from Riveredge Nature Center (featuring GIS/mapping, digital microscopes) and more!
- The homeschool day is designed for middle school -high school aged students and their families from throughout southeastern Wisconsin.
- The day will be structured so that you and your family/group will travel from station to station, scattered throughout Riveredge’s 379-acre outdoor classroom. Educational hosts will greet you and share about their specific career that blends STEM and the environment as well as demonstrates how technology assists them in their conservation work.
- The overall goal of the STEM into Nature event series is to expose youth to careers that blend STEM and the environment and, to showcase ways in which technology is supporting the conservation movement in our region. We hope you’ll find a wide variety of curricular connections specifically associated with Next Generation Science Standards in the life sciences and engineering technology applications to science disciplines.
- Do you already have a group of students that would be interested in this type of learning? We welcome you!
- Please note: Not all partners are attending all days of the event series. Key partners during the homeschool day include the Southeast Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission (side-scan sonar), Riveredge Nature Center (GIS/mapping), MSOE (engineered wastewater wetland system) and more!
Cost: $5 per child, or $15 for a family of 3 or more kids!
[av_hr class=’invisible’ height=’13’ shadow=’no-shadow’ position=’center’ custom_border=’av-border-thin’ custom_width=’50px’ custom_border_color=” custom_margin_top=’30px’ custom_margin_bottom=’30px’ icon_select=’yes’ custom_icon_color=” ic’on=ue808′ font=’entypo-fontello’]
[av_button_big label=’Register For Homeschool Day’ description_pos=’below’ link=’manually,https://campscui.active.com/orgs/RiveredgeNatureCenter0?season=2231401&session=36863803′ link_target=’_blank’ icon_select=’no’ icon=’ue800′ font=’entypo-fontello’ custom_font=’#ffffff’ color=’theme-color’ custom_bg=’#444444′ color_hover=’theme-color-subtle’ custom_bg_hover=’#444444′][/av_button_big]
Thanks to these partners who are helping make this new event series amazing!
Please note: Activities will be held rain or shine. Please dress for the weather as this event will be mostly outdoors.
Questions? Contact Carly Hintz, Educational Technology & Evaluation Specialist at email@example.com or 262-375-2715.