Sturgeon Fest 2016
Join Riveredge Nature Center on October 1st, 2016 at Lakeshore State Park, in downtown Milwaukee, to celebrate the release of over 1,200 young Lake Sturgeons at the free, family festival – Sturgeon Fest!
The festival includes:
- Activities for kids of all ages…Scavenger hunt!
- Booths from many of local environmental organizations
- Local food trucks
- And, of course, the baby sturgeon release! For a modest donation to the Return the Sturgeon Restoration Project, children, families, and adults participate in citizen science at its best by ‘sponsoring’ a baby sturgeon and hand-releasing it into Lake Michigan.
- Sturgeon Sponsors receive a certificate, patch, and an opportunity to register one of the sturgeon – all the sturgeon are tagged (similar to how pets are micro chipped). If a sturgeon is every captured with your tag number, you’ll be notified!
- FREE Parking available.
To find out all the details and about this year’s event, please visit our brand new website dedicated to Sturgeon Fest, www.sturgeonfest.org!
For a modest donation to the Return the Sturgeon Restoration Project, children, families, and adults participate in citizen science at its best by ‘sponsoring’ a baby sturgeon and hand-releasing it into Lake Michigan.
Sturgeon Sponsors receive a certificate, magnet, and an opportunity to register one of the microchipped sturgeon to track throughout its life!
There are a limited amount of sturgeon to sponsor, so it is recommended to pre-register to sponsor your fish. Registration closes at 2 PM on Friday, September 30th, but don’t worry, you can still sponsor a fish at the event.
Tips & Tricks for 1st Timers
- FREE parking is available at designated Summerfest parking lots – watch for the signs to get you to the right spot. A shuttle to the park will be available.
- The festival is open from 11 am – 3 pm.
- Although the festival continues until 3:00 pm, fish are typically all released by 2:30 pm.
- All educational activities for kids and adults (including the bouncy house obstacle course) are FREE thanks to our great sponsors! There is no entrance fee to Sturgeon Fest.
- Bad weather typically does not cancel Sturgeon Fest – the little fishies need to be set free! – but severe weather may. Watch our FB page and this website for any updates.
- You may sponsor a sturgeon for release ($10 suggested donation) at the park near the docks or you can do so online before you arrive (we encourage people to sponsor a sturgeon online – it’s way easier that way)
- Sturgeon release begins after a 20 minute ceremony at 11:30 AM honoring the sturgeon rearing efforts. This time also includes a ceremonial blessing of the fish by a Native American representative.
- Lots of people release between 12:30 – 1:30. If crowds are not your thing, reserve your fish ahead of time and then release at your leisure from 1:30 – 2:30 pm.
- Don’t forget to stop by the tent near the release site to pick up your certificate and thank you gift!
- Food is available for purchase from the local food trucks – we have several coming this year!
Have a Sturgeonfest certificate from past years? Register your sturgeon here!